Hashtags are great for social media promotion. They can drive likes, shares, and views. The hashtag, formerly known as the (#), pound sign, is a way for your content to be discovered by a captive audience.
Twitter was the first to use hashtags, but they are now commonplace across other social media platforms, including Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn. The hashtag is a powerful tool to increase social engagement and your social impact.
When used correctly, hashtags can help people interested in your topic find you and expand your reach and followers.
What is a Hashtag, and how do you define it?
A hashtag refers to a keyword phrase or word (#). Hash symbol. This is used in a social media post to allow people interested in your topic to search for it using a hashtag or keyword. It can be used to attract attention to your posts and encourage interaction.
What do you do with Hashtags?
Use hashtags to spell out a phrase without using spaces. For example, #usinghashtags. You can use numbers but no symbols or punctuation. You can place the hashtag at the end, middle, or beginning of any social media comment or post. It allows the social media network to index what you have written. This strategy allows people to find your content even if they aren’t your followers or fans.
What does a Hashtag on Social Media Mean?
Although it may sound simple to put a hashtag before your keyword, there are some basic facts that you need to know if you want to be found using hashtags.
If done correctly, they will only make a difference to your social network strategy. These are some tips to help you get started:
- Do not get caught up in using hashtags every few words. Depending on the platform, there are different hashtags that you can use. However, in most cases, one to three hashtags will have a greater impact than many.
- Use short and easy to remember hashtags rather than using a lot of words in a single tag. Remember #BlackOutTuesday being successfully used as part of America’s Black Lives Matter movement in 2020?
- Avoid using hashtags that are too obscure or clever. It won’t help your marketing if you choose a tag no one will search for.
- You will get better results if you use specific hashtags than general or broad ones. Broad terms won’t be searched, and your content will likely get lost amongst the sea of irrelevant content.
- Do not force hashtags into every post. Use them only when valuable and likely to spark conversation and interaction.
- Hashtags are a great way to attract your target audience and allow you to search for your competitors. You can search hashtags to find relevant content on your topic.
Why is Hashtag Important?
Hashtags on social media are crucial as they allow your content to be found and shared by the right people. Use relevant hashtags to help your content be found. They also drive traffic to your content, increasing views, likes and shares. Finding the right hashtags relevant to your content and appealing to users is key.
How to find effective hashtags: Start with influencers?
There is a fine line between too broad and too specific hashtags. You can start to identify which hashtags are most effective by looking at the hashtags that influencers within your niche use.
Chances are, you already know who the influencers in your niche are. But if you don’t, how can you discover them? The influencers for a niche are trusted the most and are most listened to. This includes celebrities, bloggers and YouTube users. You can also use many B2B influencers to make a marketing impact. Just ensure that they are relevant for your business.